Learn how to set up and activate Custom Triggers and send personalized flows based on subscriber actions and events.
What is a Custom Triggers Flow and how it works?
Custom Triggers is an automated flow triggered when the subscriber enters a specific segment. We assume you are familiar with our Segmentation feature, but if it’s not the case, please first check this article.
The Custom Trigger Flows will be triggered when the subscriber enters the targeted Segment. It is triggered by user action only when the subscriber’s behavior meets the conditions of the Segment.
No Admin action, such as creating or modifying a Segment, or importing subscribers will trigger the message. Subscribers that were members of the Segment before activating the Custom Triggers Flow will not receive the text. In case you would like to target subscribers who were members of a Segment before you activated the Custom Triggers automation, you will need to create a One-off flow and target the given Segment.
- You can target only one Segment with one Custom Trigger Flow, but you can set up multiple Segments and Flows separately.
- When a user joins multiple segments that are targeted with an automated flow, each automated flow will be sent. Ensure your targeted segments do not overlap and you do not send multiple messages to the same users.
How to create a Custom Triggers Flow?
In order to create a Custom Triggers Flow, first, you will need to create a Segment.
When your Segment is ready, you can proceed with activating the Custom Triggers Flow. Go to the Automated Flows Page and choose Custom Triggers.
You will see the prebuilt Custom Triggers Flows. In order to activate them, click on their name.
You will be redirected to the editor. After customizing the setup, click Activate in the upper right corner.
If you’d prefer to create new Custom Triggers Flows from scratch, click on the Create new button in the upper right corner.
You will be redirected to the editor where you can customize the sending settings
- Rename the flow on the top of the editor.
- Click on the Message item to customize the text on the left side of the editor.
- Click on the Custom Triggers item to open the flow settings.
Here you’ll be prompted to finalize the below settings:
- Add the audience you’d like to target in the Send to section.
- Quiet hours are turned on by default to avoid bothering your subscribers. If the user is in Quiet Hours, the message delivery will be postponed. Learn more about Quiet Hours here. By moving the toggle next to it, you can turn it off. With this setting, subscribers will receive your flow during Quiet Hours as well.
- Set up the sending frequency. The message is either sent every time the user joins the Segment or only when the user enters the Segment for the first time.
When you are ready you can save the flow as a draft or activate it right away in the upper right corner.
Custom Triggers Flow Status
- Draft - The message will be in Draft status before it is activated for the first time.
- Active - Inactive - Once the message was activated, you can switch between Active and Inactive statuses. Navigate to Automated flows, Custom Triggers, and click on the three dots next to the Custom Triggers Flow you’d like to turn on or off.
If you have any remaining questions, do not hesitate to contact the Customer Support team.